Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Well let's talk about parking here


No not a drunk driver, just an open space to park !

Now aside from the majority of most Asians being crazy drivers, Koreans have a few extra special qualities in connection with theirs cars. Keep in mind that the entire state of Oregon has about 4 million people and if every single man, woman and child had a car that would be 4 million cars..Duh ! Well Korea is less than half the size of Oregon yet has a population of around 50 million people ! As for cars, there are well over an estimated 20 million ! This creates a bit of havoc not to mention a lack of parking spaces. So Koreans view a sidewalk as an extra parking space. These pics are just a few of the examples on a good day.

There is ACTUALLY room for pedestrians to walk here !

Often times the sidewalk is much narrower and the the car takes up the entire sidewalk, so you are forced to walk in the street. I always wind up with some driver behind me honking because I am street walking ( yup I said it, I'm a streetwalker ! ) I just put my hand up behind my back and give them the finger. It's quite the universal sign ! They stop honking and I move in between 2 parked cars and they drive by.


Street corners and intersections are favorites !

Now one thing of note, that I have yet to see in any Asian country other than Korea, is that fact that in their windshields they put their cellphone numbers. The reason is so they can be called if they need to move their car. So, in America, would you be willing to post your personal cell phone # in your vehicle windshield ?? I think not !
Here and in Thailand, when you double park, you always lock your car, but you leave it in neutral with the E brake off. This way someone can push your car out of the way so they can get their car out. More so in Thailand than here.

Well I think I will try my best to make my next entry more of a rave than a rant ! Gonna be tough though. Maybe I will go find a pair of rose tinted glasses to wear for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment