Monday, October 25, 2010

In the immortal words of Peter Griffin " you know what really grinds my gears "

Well, I'm in a kinda pissy mood. No real reason, just woke up that way.....I'm sure you women can relate, at least my 2nd wife could. So let's run down the list for the things that set this in motion.

First, while watching UFC 121 this weekend. Now let me tell you, I am not a racist, however, just because I am white, automatically makes me one. As I was saying, UFC 121, Cain Velasquez vs. Brock Lesnar. Cain is from Mexico and has a big tattoo across his chest that says "Brown Pride." Anything wrong with that ? Well I didn't think so at first, but then as I looked at Brocks big tattoos, it got me thinking...."Danger Will Robinson, Danger ! " If Brock had the same tattoo but it said "White Pride," How would that be perceived ? Yep you guessed it, everyone would say he was a skin head racist bastard. If I had the same tattoo, everyone would say the same. Why is it OK though for a Mexican to have Brown Pride, or an African to have Black Pride ? But put White Pride on a Caucasian and all hell breaks loose.

For those of you who haven't seen the movie Clerks II, I highly recommend it for this particular reason. One character named Randall, decides that "porch monkey" isn't a derogatory racial slur and he is going to "take it back." It is actually quite hilarious.  Now, I am not going to go get a white pride tattoo done. Nor do I believe that whites are a superior race...Shit just take one look at my brother and you can easily realize that ! I am all for diversity, for cryin' in the sink, I am married to someone of which English is a second language !

Well all of this got me thinking more and more about Korean pride, their xenophobia and their racism. I even went so far as to dig up actual facts on this one ! Koreans truly pride themselves on being a "true-blood race." No idea why they love Harry Potter, he's white and a half-blood !  Ha ha. South Korea is 99% pure blood. In many news articles though, there is an alarming rate of mix-blood marriages happening. Mostly this is the rural farmers and fisherman who purchase brides from China,Vietnam, Cambodia etc. The resulting mixed race children has become concerning here. Of these children, 35% drop out of elementary school ! Yes elementary school ! In large part do to the racism, and bulling by other children, with the teachers not doing a thing.

Then a funny thing happened a few years back. Wide Receiver Hines Ward of the Pittsburgh Steelers, won the Superbowl MVP. Turns out that Hines is half Black and half Korean. When he was just a child, his mother was ostracized by everyone she knew for having a black child. Eventually she was forced to move to the US to try to give Hines a decent life. Well after he won the MVP, Koreans suddenly loved him and he became a national hero. While some welcome the diversity....There are many more that do not. Some legislation was passed and" mixed-blood people" was changed to "people of international marriages"  North Korea said, "South Korea is denying its national race and its 5,000-year history by professing to be a multiracial nation. Such moves will Americanize Korea, ruin its past history and weaken the power to combat dominative U.S. forces."

Gimme a frigging break man !

OK, Next on the list. In a country where approximately 95% of all Koreans were some type of corrective lenses. It is now popular to wear glass frames without the actual glasses ! They wear contacts, but "fashion eyeglass frames" to look cool....I'm gonna bitch slap those right off your face.

Mosquitoes, I remember back home, I mosquito bite isn't that bad, a little itchy for a few days and done. Korean mosquitoes.....When you get bit by them, they leave a hard knot as well as the itch ! I mean it feel like a BB is under your skin kinda hard ! And it itches forever !. Thailand Mosquitoes..no knot, but a bazillion of them there, and you are much more likely to catch Malaria, or Dengue fever there.

Another thing that is common in all of Asia, PICKING YOUR NOSE !  Now when  was the last time you were talking face to face with an adult and they all of sudden jam a finger up their nose and start rooting for gold ? Well I see this almost everyday. Talking to a pretty girl, blah blah blah and then there it is ! finger up the nose ! Then they take it out and inspect it like it might be some alien worm probe from Star Trek ! Yes, even the wife used to do this, and I emphasize used to ! We broke that habit lol.
Coughing and sneezing without covering your mouth is common also. And there are no "bless you's" here. Bless you is not an American thing either, many,many countries say something when you sneeze. Not over here.

Hurry up and wait...I used to think that this was strictly from my military life ! It is an Asian lifestyle. While I see plenty of it her in Korea, Hong Kong was the worst ! My god, just changing subways, people get off one train, push and shove and literally run of to the next platform where the train won't be arriving for another 5 minutes still. Train arrives and it's like the Roman Colosseum. Mortal combat as people try to get off the train and onto the train at the same time !

So to sum up: I am not racist. I hate mosquitoes. Don't pick your nose during a conversation and slow down and enjoy life.

No comments:

Post a Comment